Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 23:35:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rohit Panda <prohit99@yahoo.com>
To:        jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com, mertz@gnosis.cx
Cc:        lee@uk.FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   installation problem

--0-829094587-998894149=:32478

hi ,

    i was using linux and a great fan of it.Then i heard about this wonderful OS called FreeBSD and wanted to try it out.i thought to install it via FTP. My E: drive in my windows machine is the place where i want to install FreeBSD(i have formatted my E: ,but iam getting the chance to fdisk because Sysinstall is not running). But iam facing a problem during installation.i have made the images of the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp from windows using the utility fdimage.Then i booted from the kernel image floppy .Everything goes fine and after that when i put the other floppy and hit enter it says " zf_read:unexpected EOF ". Then it continues with the kernel configuration.Once i teied to configure and the next time i skipped,but after that comes the problem.after it probes it says

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c

md0:raw partition size != slice size

md0:start 0,end 7,size 8

md0c:start 0,end 5759,size 5760

md0:truncating raw partition

md0:start 0,end 7,size 8

md0:start 0,end 5759,size 5760

Root Mount failed :22

manual root filesystem specification

eg.ufs:/dev/da0s1a

? list valid disk boot devices

<empty line> abort manual i/p

THEN WHEN IT COMES TO THE PROMPT.......

mountroot> NOW IF I HIT ENTER

panic :root mount failed ,startup aborted .

syncing disks

done uptime:11m 8 s

Automatic reboot in 15 secs.......

how do i correct the problem.Sysinstall is not starting and how to go about it.if u could help me i will be very grateful to u.otherwise tell me some alternate methords to do.

thanking u in advance

rohit

Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.
--0-829094587-998894149=:32478

<P>hi ,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; i was using linux and a great fan of it.Then i heard about this wonderful OS called FreeBSD and wanted to try it out.i thought to install it via FTP. My E: drive in my windows machine is the place where i want to install FreeBSD(i have formatted my E: ,but iam getting the chance to fdisk because Sysinstall is not running).&nbsp;But iam facing a problem during installation.i have made the images of the kern.flp and mfsroot.flp from windows using the utility fdimage.Then i booted from the kernel image floppy .Everything goes fine and after that when i put the other floppy and hit enter it says " zf_read:unexpected EOF ". Then it continues with the kernel configuration.Once i teied to configure and the next time i skipped,but after that comes the problem.after it probes it says </P>
<P>Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c</P>
<P>md0:raw partition size != slice size</P>
<P>md0:start 0,end 7,size 8</P>
<P>md0c:start 0,end 5759,size 5760</P>
<P>md0:truncating raw partition </P>
<P>md0:start 0,end 7,size 8</P>
<P>md0:start 0,end 5759,size 5760</P>
<P>Root Mount failed :22</P>
<P>manual root filesystem specification</P>
<P>&lt;fstype&gt;:device Mount &lt;device&gt; using filesystem&lt;fstype&gt; </P>
<P>eg.ufs:/dev/da0s1a</P>
<P>? list valid disk boot devices </P>
<P>&lt;empty line&gt; abort manual i/p</P>
<P>THEN WHEN IT COMES TO THE PROMPT.......</P>
<P>mountroot&gt; NOW IF I HIT ENTER </P>
<P>panic :root mount failed ,startup aborted .</P>
<P>syncing disks</P>
<P>done uptime:11m 8 s</P>
<P>Automatic reboot in 15 secs.......</P>
<P>how do i correct the problem.Sysinstall is not starting and how to go about it.if u could help me i will be very grateful to u.otherwise tell me some alternate methords to do.</P>
<P>thanking u in advance </P>
Make <a href="http://phonecard.yahoo.com/">international calls</a> for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.
--0-829094587-998894149=:32478--