Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:34:51 +0200
From:      Marc Olzheim <marcolz@stack.nl>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Marc Olzheim <marcolz@stack.nl>, Alexey Yakimovich <aiy@ferens.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quality of FreeBSD

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 01:20:49PM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
> >I know FreeBSD 5 was a strange exception in the relase scheduling and=20
> >that a lot has been learned from it for the future and I'm certainly not=
=20
> >unthankful for all the work that's done, but I'd like a clear answer on=
=20
> >what to do now in regard to taking FreeBSD 5 into 'real' production...

[snip]

> In terms of advice:
>=20
> If you have a "product" due out more than 3 months from now, I think 6.x=
=20
> is the obvious way to go: you want to be ahead of the curve so that you=
=20
> can have the foundation for your product in sync with the FreeBSD=20
> production release cycle, and avoid jumping major releases early in the=
=20
> product life cycle.  6.x has significant performance and stability=20
> improvements -- performance especially in the area of file system=20
> performance on SMP, preemption, network stack, and memory management, and=
=20
> stability especially in the area of tty support.  By "product", I mean a=
=20
> range of things: the OS foundation of an embedded product such as a=20
> firewall or storage appliance, or deployment of an internal product, such=
=20
> as a virtual server product at an ISP.

[snip]

Robert, thanks again for your clear and straight answer. :-)

We fall in the Yahoo-like category of FreeBSD users (in more than one
way) and have been testing a bit with 6.x, just not as heavy as with
5.x.

Since I've already experienced the easy upgrade path before (the way
back to 5.x has been a bit more hairy btw.), it will be easy enough for
me to upgrade some servers to 6.x and start testing that, which is
excatly what I will do.

Because my current 5.x machines have to run with INVARIANTS to be in
production for more than a few seconds, the performance will no doubt be
better anyway. I'll let the debug code enabled on most machines for now
anyhow to possibly provide more useful bug reports. :-)

Thanks again, your answer was of great value to me.

Marc

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r--