Date:      Sun, 01 Jul 2018 17:24:56 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <paul.schmehl@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem deleting files

--On July 1, 2018 at 10:31:44 PM +0200 Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 14:13:30 -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> I have a problem with a directory full of files that I can't seem to
>> delete. [...]
>> If I try to delete that specific filename, it seems to work. (Running rm
>> twice returns no such file the second time.) Yet the file count remains
>> the  same.
>
> Is this on UFS or ZFS?
>
> If UFS, unmount the partition and perform a "fsck -f" for
> that partition. In worst case, do it twice.

The problem is, I'm working remotely on a production server. Unmounting
/var would bring a lot of things to a screeching halt, wouldn't it?

The process that Yasuhiro suggested is working. It's just taking an
interminably long period of time. I'm down to just over 4 million files
now. I'm going to let it run overnight and see where we're at tomorrow.

Paul Schmehl
Independent Researcher