Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:25:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>
To:        "Timothy P. Layton, Sr." <tlayton@global-sol.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslogd help

On the router you might see something like "syslog-facility" and a default
entry of something like "local7"...  If you then go to /etc/syslog.conf,
you'll need to add an entry to that file to tell syslog where to put
things logged to the local7 facility.  As for the format of the syslog
file, that's an issue for a good UNIX book or the man page; the former
being better if you want to know *why* certain things are logged at
certain priority levels...  I like the ORA Armidillo book for such
things...

Also, here's an example of how our Ascend boxes and annexes log to the
loghost:

local7.info                                     /var/log/annexlog
local6.info                                     /var/log/annexlog
local5.debug                                    /var/log/ascendlog

format is:
logfacility.level				destination

Hope this helps a bit,

Charles