Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:25:23 -0500
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dshanes@personalogic.com, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

On Apr 9, 11:42pm, John S. Dyson wrote:
> Subject: Re: Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the In
> > On Apr 9, 10:03pm, John S. Dyson wrote:
> > > >
> > > Each of 'em seems like a Borg nano-probe :-).  (Re: StarTrek Voyager
:-)).

> > > John
> > >-- End of excerpt from John S. Dyson
> >
> > I'll have to have my wife give me a translation of this.  She is the
StarTrek
> > person in the family.  I barely know what a Borg is let alone a nano-probe.
> > Regards,
> > Frank
> >
> They are little cyborg entities flowing around in Borg bloodstreams used to
> affect the assimilation process among other things.  I am attributing the
> typical individual zealot as being about as important as one of the
nano-probes
> (to the larger collective -- and will be sacrificed if it is valuable to the
> collective), all together they have a significant effect.  This is an
> assimilation process, where it is a war between the Linux world and the
> rest of software.  It just seems that Microsoft is the big target, but
> don't be tricked into thinking that war is "freedom" vs. "domination."
> Linux and Microsoft are various forms of domination at war.  Microsoft
> wants to have all your money, while the GPL movement wants to socialize
> inventiveness.

Thanks for the explanation of the nano probes as well as the domination issues.
 I fully understand the Microsoft tactic because I have lived in the corporate
world and am well aware of their game.  I don't understand the mindset that it
takes to keep playing it, except that it is the "safe" bet.

I am too green to grasp the inventive issues, but reading arguments presented
by you and the others on the NG has started a gremanation process.  On the
technical side I have much to learn.  It appears that jumping in bed with
Microsoft or GPL is just a matter of deciding which cross you wish to die on.

> The GPL is not Netscape's friend.  Their upper mgmt doesn't appear to
> realize it.

They appear to have made several mistakes of late.  Would sure hate to see them
go down.  Other than SUN in the commercial there is not much standing in
Microsoft's way.

> We need to continue growing the free software movement (and the associated
> freedom of individuals), and not be left out in the cold.   The Linux thing
> is NOT a free software movement, but is an evangelistic pseudo-religion.
> It wouldn't suprise me that the same people who might be susceptible to
> a cult are the same people evangelizing whatever OS that they have
> adopted.  No OS is immune to this, but Linux appears to have more than
> it's fair share.

Well said, and I agree.  In earlier posts I said that we need to evangelize,
however when I define an evangelist and a fanatic, the definitions are worlds
apart.  An old friend of yours, Albert Callahan, fits tha latter ;-)

Good talking with you,
Frank