Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:05:26 +1000
From:      "Christopher Vance" <cjsvance@gmail.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports tree tagging again

On 8/18/06, Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@freebsd.org> wrote:
> I'm not the only person who wants to have stable ports tree and binary
> packages. Actually, about 90% people whom I asked about that said it
> would be nice.

OpenBSD does exactly what you want - a branched, stable ports tree,
and a preference for precompiled binary packages.  Have you tried it?
Of course, they have far fewer ports.

NetBSD pkgsrc also has branched, stable tree, but you might need to
build your own packages.  Have you tried it?

I find some aspects of the way packages are built and installed on
OpenBSD superior to FreeBSD, particularly the insistence that you
package before you install, rather than after (a FreeBSD port I used
to maintain tripped up badly enough on this that I dropped it).   That
would also kill the DESTDIR thread...  But it seems to me that FreeBSD
has its priorities in different areas (like being polite to people)
and that's fine - that's why there are several projects.

If you want people to branch stuff, you get to choose between putting
your own effort into doing it yourself for FreeBSD, if you have other
reasons to stay with FreeBSD, or moving to another OS that already
does it, at the cost of having fewer ports. You get to choose what
your own priorities are, and to hang out with people who have the same
ones. Trying to make FreeBSD do what OpenBSD does, or vice versa, is
just plain overoptimistic.

--
Christopher