Date:      Fri, 11 May 2001 02:49:00 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What gives?

Rasputin wrote:

> You mean the packages on the CD?

What CD?

Nothing against Walnut Creek, au contraire actually, but the last
time I installed something unixy from CD was a Linux release when
Linux was not 1. Yet it was, barely, slackware. I mean, hey, I was
young - figuratively speaking - and it was new and shiny. Downloading
was murder in those days ('93/'94) and I was a sucker for shiny
things. Magpies are we and all that jazz.

Nonetheless, you are putting, nay forcing, the finger on a sore
spot. That stuff works 'stabily' at release time does not mean it
will keep on working stabily on latter times.

Hence my query.

For the record, I'm not knocking FreeBSD. Quite the contrary as it
so happens. But I suppose, when I'm forced to be honest against both
my (last) will and better judgement, I am knocking a perceived
tendency to incline to release updates before they're time.

Sure. There is something to be said for timely releases. Especially
when you are - like Micro Soft - in it for the money, but there is
also something to be said for, well, thrustworthiness I guess.

Roelof

PS again, this is after I had three to five ports fail on me just after
I 'inspired' people onto FreeBSD. It's an emotional (over)reaction, like,
of course, everything is ;).