Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 12:46:28 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Overheated PIII in SMP system

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Chad R. Larson wrote:

Dear Sirs.

I do not think FreeBSD's behaviour is the cause for "overheating" the CPU,
and I do not care about what FreeBSD is doing while in an idle loop. If the
system is stable, it is all right.

In my case, something seems to be very wrong. I monitored now for about two
days all parameters I can obtain by the "HEALTHD" daemon and I I did several
changes, e.g. swapping both CPUs. Now the system runs "stable" (but how long?).
I swapped the CPUs again and I realized, that my first observation, that
heat follows one specific CPU, was an err. Heat is located in SLOT 1 for
CPU #0. Obviously is the othe CPU not that sensitive to heat than the other one,
but a measuremnt of 52 degrees Celsius on the heat sink is really to much!

"Healthd" gives a lot of warnings to me due the fact that SLOT 1 delivers
a core voltage of 2.06 to 2.08 and not 2.05 as the other, second slot. I
think this is like an evidence to accuse the mainboard.

This will getting changed today (ASUS P2B-D against ASUS CUV4X-D with two
new boxed 733B-Coppermines). Coppermines seems to be much "cooler" than
old KATMAI - and the risk of a dying system due old hardware is to high ...

:>As I recall, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>> One of our SMP servers, a FreeBSD 4.-RC box, is not willing
:>> to compile a world. It faults with SIG 11.
:>>
:>> The problem is caused by a overheated Intel Pentium III/600MHz
:>> with KATMAI core.
:>
:>Your core problem (heh) is caused by the fact that the idle behavior
:>of the uniprocessor kernel is to halt, waiting for an interrupt.
:>The idle behavior of the SMP kernel is to loop, looking for work to
:>dispatch.  This means the SMP never halts, and therefore runs
:>hotter.
:>
:>That doesn't give you a cure, however...    :-(
:>
:>	-crl
:>--
:>Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
:>chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com
:>DCF, Inc. - 14623 North 49th Place, Scottsdale, Arizona 85254-2207
:>

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)