Date:      05 Jan 2004 22:07:15 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: viewing sgml articles

Dru <dlavigne6@sympatico.ca> writes:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> > > Install the textproc/docproj-nojadetex port and run
> > > "cd /usr/doc;make install clean".
> > >
> > > The formatted docs will then be in /usr/share/doc.
> >
> > Or even just download the pre-built documentation from the FreeBSD FTP
> > sites.  Instructions for doing that are at the top of all of the
> > pieces of documentation.
>
> Thanks to you both.
>
> I think the mist is clearing, let's see if I have this straight. The
> contents of /usr/share/doc come with the system, and any cvsup'd changes
> go instead into /usr/doc. If I want to merge the two, I use Ceri's
> suggestion. Otherwise, I can download direct as per Lowell's suggestion.

Roughly right.  The documents are installed into /usr/share/doc by
default.  The source code for those documents can be cvsup'd, and the
typical place to put them is /usr/doc.  Building the documents
involves a fairly substantial amount of software (although if you
already use teTeX, it's not so bad).  If you all you want is updates
to the documents, you can download new versions easily.  If you want
to suggest modifications to the documents, you really should install
the docproj port and its many dependencies, and build your own versions.