Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:16:15 +0100
From:      Little Bhudda <lbhudda@googlemail.com>
To:        tf@slash10.net
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet (gem0) not working during installation of FreeBSD-8.0	on a G5

Thomas,

For what it is worth, I also came across the same problem, and here's
what I did:
1 - Download and burn the iso for NetBSD's PPC architecture
2 - Boot NetBSD
      This actually took most of my time. I have Open Firmware 3 and
had to boot into that with the four-fingered salute and then enter
boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf This takes care of booting NetBSD
3 - Go to the shell (s) once NetBSD has booted
4 - Use pdisk (apparently the most convoluted and difficult to use
partition manager out there ;-) to partition the disk. If it's an
apple disk, you have to be careful with any partition marked as
Apple_xxx
5 - I used 'C' to create partitions and used the "Apple_UNIX_SVR2"
type, which allows you to select a (boot) b (swap) and g (user)
partitions.
6 - After you're done, write the new partition info and reboot with
FreeBSD in the drive
7 - Use the regular sysinstall stuff to indicate what should go in
which partition. Since root and swap are the only partitions supported
by apple, the other ones need to be user partitons, but you can use
all of them in FreeBSD's disklabel.

Hope that helps

Regards,
Rob