Date:      29 Jun 1999 12:16:34 +0200
From:      Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <frodef@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bt848 channel frequencies

Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net> writes:
> Ideally, it would be nice to be able to plug in new TV drivers under
> the hood with little effort on the app end of things.  This might
> encourage the prospective multimedia driver hackers out there.  No
> need to write your own apps.  Use what's there, write driver, and
> patch in the appropriate stubs to "libtuner" (or whatever it is
> called).

Since this subject has come up, would you (and others here) like to
have a look at my effort at an application architecture for tv/video?
It's not quite release-ready, but has been working OK for me and a
frew others for a while now.

It's a C library with a Tcl/Tk interface (but I hope to add some lisp
variant too), and currently one real application
(i.e. tcl-script). There are are grabber drivers for bktr, meteor and
V4L-1.

If installed ("make install"), run the app as "vtv". It can be run
in-place as "./videowish/videowish examples/vtv". The tuner settings
can be edited in examples/dot.vtv.rc (this is where I need
libtuner.. :) NTSC users probably need to edit this file to change
default sizes.

<URL:http://www.cs.uit.no/~frodef/videolib/>;

I'd appreciate comments as to what works and what doesn't.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld