Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:27:50 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        clefevre@citeweb.net, Akbar <Akbar@Aptitude.com.sg>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

I think people tend to assume that because they are very forward about
the fact that they ship strong crypto, and that they have done the big
code audit, that they are more secure.  People tend not to realize that
(AFAIK) we also ship strong crypto stuff (I remember something, search
the -security archives a while back, I haven't actually installed from
CD in a while).  In terms of clean code, I think that FreeBSDs strength
over a certain other open-source OS tends to do with the quality of
code.  A lot more peer review goes on here, and that's part of why I
aspire to write code for FreeBSD some day (sooner or later, I promise,
but I really should actually pay attention to my classes freshman
year).  I don't think I can write code of that quality yet, but I think
if someone starts publishing patches to PRs, adding features, etc.,
there's perhaps a bit more review than goes into other OSs, especially
given the (IMHO superior) way FreeBSDs userland is done compared to
Linux.  I don't think OpenBSD has much over FreeBSD in terms of quality
of code, but the perception sort of persists because they are always
pushing themselves as security.

Am I crazy?
Laurence

Bill Fumerola wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 09:42:20PM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>
> > > am seeking out a career in security area and i am seriously thinking of
> > > learning 1 unix based OS. and i am stuck. which one would be best to learn??
> >
> > for security purpose, OpenBSD is well suitable.
>
> just curious:
>
> Do you say this just because everyone says "well, FreeBSD is stable/performance,
> OpenBSD is security oriented, NetBSD is portable", because OpenBSD markets themselves
> towards security, or based on an independent thought?
>
> Every BSD has its strong point, but I wish people would elaborate more then
>
> *grunt*grunt* OpenBSD for security *grunt*grunt*
>
> </rant>
>
> --
> Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
>                 billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org

Laurence Berland
Intern, Flooz.com
Northwestern '04