Date:      27 Feb 2000 17:52:11 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Mesa3 port upgrade

 * From: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>

 * -ports,

 ;)

 *         I have successfully tested an upgrade to the Mesa3 port,
 * which allows us a source-library for OpenGL. However, there is a little
 * problem. Mesa 3.1 no longer produces a -lMesaGL or -lMesaGLU. However, I
 * have successfully tested it with various ports, including astro/xplanet,
 * games/gltron, and x11-toolkits/qt145, and it seems the solution is to
 * make a symbolic link from libMesaGL to its libGL cousin. That is to say,
 * we will see this:
 *
 * /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.14 (real shared lib)
 * /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.14 (real shared lib)
 * /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.14 (link)
 * /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so.14 (link)
 * /usr/X11R6/lib/libMesaGL.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so (link)
 * /usr/X11R6/lib/libMesaGLU.so -> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGLU.so (link)
 *
 * This will make the transition to Mesa 3.1 easiest for apps that still
 * call -lMesaGL[U] while linking.

What happens if they call "-lGL -lMesaGL" or something?  Will that be
ok because all the symbols will be found in the first -l and the
second one will not be used at all?

 * Some of the ports in the tree still depend on a MesaGL.14 or MesaGLU.14
 * or similar LIB_DEPENDS. Since I feel there is no point in having a
 * symbolic link for these as well, I think the ports should simply have
 * their LIB_DEPENDS modified to use GL.14 or similar. This would be a
 * fairly trivial fix, although IIANM, there are a lot of ports that depend
 * on MesaGL.

That's fine.

 * Now, I know a few people are going to point out that this upgrade is a
 * little risky being so close to the ports freeze, but it's been a long
 * time since Mesa has been upgraded, and I feel that 4.0-RELEASE should go
 * out with a brand-new Mesa port.

More like 4.0R shouldn't go out with a ridiculously old Mesa port? :)

Anyway, if you actually tested some apps (not just linking I hope, but
real testing as in firing up the programs and seeing if they work) and
they seem ok, I don't see why we can't upgrade Mesa right now.  At
least that will leave us a few days to track down any problems that
might surface.

-PW