Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2020 12:26:20 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 at 14:16, Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru> wrote:
> >
> > Ottavio Caruso via freebsd-questions wrote:

> > > Sorry, but I find this sort of a chalk vs cheese kind of comparison.
> >
> > Of course not. When deciding what to use in the next project, you have
> > to advocate your choice in front of your superiors and colleagues, and
> > your presentation should be well backed up with technical arguments.
>=20
> I didn't really (and still don't) know the circumstances of your work
> environment. Failing that, this is really a chalk vs cheese scenario.
> I find both FreeBSD and Linux technically valid solutions (and I throw
> NetBSD into the mix). One has to be pragmatic and evaluate solutions
> against problems first. Advocating an OS over another one without
> taking care of circumstances doesn't make good advocacy.

Fine, let's apply your approach, it could yield interesting results. Can
we find 3-4 real world scenarios where FreeBSD cannot be replaced by
Linux without important negative technical and business consequences of
said replacement?

Other than a case of unacceptability of the GNU license for some legal
reason, I cannot imagine such a scenario.

Unfortunatly, I've seen lots of reverse cases where Linux cannot be
replaced by FreeBSD. Docker and friends come to mind first.

>=20
> (I'm not having a go at you. I'm just talking out of my experience.)

Please keep on talking :-)

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/