Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:17:03 -0600
From:      Christopher Taylor <chris@thedial.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   AIT/DLT Tape Compatibility

I need a high capacity tape backup solution for FreeBSD. In the past, I
have used DAT with no problems, but now I need something quite a bit
bigger and more reliable. Does FreeBSD support AIT or DLT devices? Would
these be considered "SCSI" as stated in the FreeBSD FAQ?

BTW, I wasn't sure if this message should be posted in freebsd-scsi or
freebsd-question...Hope I chose correctly

The FreeBSD FAQ states:
"FreeBSD supports SCSI, QIC-36 (with a QIC-02 interface) and QIC-40/80
(Floppy based) tape drives. This includes
8-mm (aka Exabyte) and DAT drives. The QIC-40/80 drives are known to be
slow.

Some of the early 8-mm drives are not quite compatible with SCSI-2, and
may not work well with FreeBSD."

--Chris
--

Christopher Taylor