Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 1996 12:12:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange lockup problem

On Thu, 21 Mar 1996, Andrew V. Stesin wrote:

> # Switching from one vty to another frequently causes a lockup.  It can
>
> 	If you still can do telnet to your box (or come into it
> 	via modem port), that's a situation I've seen several
> 	times before -- lockup (or better to say synchronization
> 	problem) of onboard kbd controller, or keyboard itself.
> 	Sometimes re-plugging of kbd jack cures it (dangerous!)
> 	or a command kbdcontrol -r fast < /dev/ttyv0 (issued
> 	after coming into the box via telnet).

Since I don't have network access, I put an entry in /etc/crontab that
runs "kbdcontrol -r normal < /dev/ttyv0" every minute.  It's a cheap
hack, but at least it means that I only have to wait <1 minute if it
locks, instead of rebooting.

> # mouse.  The only changes were to comment out I386_CPU and I496_CPU,
> # change the ident, and add options ATAPI, device wcd0, and device psm0.
> # When I enable psm0, the system boots fine, but with the keyboard locked
> # up. Disabling psm0 eliminates the problem.
>
> 	No idea on this.

I re-enabled psm0, and it clears right up as soon as cron runs a minute
after boot.  So now I can run X.  Thanks for the work-around.

Now...  Can anyone tell me WHY this is happening?

Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503