Date:      Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:50:51 -0800
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Whacking the rc file

Many moons ago I submitted a PR regarding the fact that part of the rc
file can potentially tickle NIS before NIS is up, thus causing a hang.
Ever since then, I've found myself uttering a mild malediction every
time I've upgraded, either when I edit the rc file or when I forget to
edit it and find that my system hangs when I reboot after upgrading.

The offending part is

# Whack the pty perms back into shape.
#
if ls /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]* > /dev/null 2>&1; then
	chflags 0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
	chmod 666 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
	chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*
fi

This causes an attempt to look at NIS because at our site, the wheel
group doesn't appear in the local /etc/group file but is in NIS.

In my PR I asked that this be moved down in the rc file so it is past
the point where NIS is brought up.

This never happened, and I continued to manually modify the rc file
and swear (mildly.  Not like Windows.  I put the kids out before I
work on Windows.)

There was some discussion about this (the problem, not the swearing).
Some people said that one could put zeros instead of root:wheel above,
i.e. change

 	chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*

	chown 0:0 /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*

That doesn't work for me, and I note that the change wasn't made
anyway.

So I'm wondering if someone could either

1) point me to the canonical way to deal with my situation, or

2) make the change.

As far as I can tell, making the change would not introduce any
problems (unless one argues that allowing one's system to be managed
this way is a problem in and of itself).

--
Fred Gilham                                        gilham@csl.sri.com
I can't escape the sensation that I have already been thinking in Lisp