Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 20:57:13 -0800
From:      tom brown <tomb@cgf.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange Spam

--------------F81BACE454FDFAB580CDE9CF

Robert

I agree.  It looks like some of the example work I've seen that is designed to
avoid the content detection mechanisum's triggered by strong math techniques.
Like you say it has a slight theme, suggesting a key based upon a manuscript?

Beats reading about IPFW.

Tom

"Robert Wojciechowski Jr." wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Looks like some sort of steganography.  Look at
> http://ip-service.com/cgi-bin/stego.pl, which contains a web interface to
> Texto, a steganography program.  I tried decoding it with Texto, but it
> didn't work.   If it is a form of steganography, it could be a custom type
> or encrypted with a key which would make it impossible to read it without
> knowing the shared secret.
>
> Another thing about it is that it follows a letter structure.  If it's more
> than just random words, maybe both parties have a dictionary file with a
> special lookup table to map say, "the" to "dodecahedron".  But I don't see
> many repeating words, so maybe not.  It colud also be a stenography program
> that creates the correct structure of a letter on purpose for some reason,
> even though it's not intelligible text (Texto is at least contains correct
> sentence structure).
>
> The best steganography of course, is the one you never spot as containing
> hidden data!
>
> Ugh, there are a million things it *could* be... I give up already.  It's
> going to be a chore finding out exactly what.  Still very intriguing, and if
> you find out what it is... please do share!  ;)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> ---
> Robert S. Wojciechowski Jr.
> robertw@wojo.com

> > On 20-Feb-2000 22:44:07, Richard Martin writes:
> > Has anyone been seeing spam like this lately?  It consists of an
> > unintelligible sequence of English words.  Seems to be just strings of
> > randomly generated words, but I am wondering if there is something more
> > sinister going on here. Someone accidentally send us an encoded message?
> >
> > ***************
> >
> > Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.origen.com.
> > I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce
> bounced!
> >
> > <zubenanalgenube@origen.com>:
> > Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)
> >
> > - --- Below this line is the original bounce.

> > From: postmaster@www.cause.org
> > To: zubenanalgenube@origen.com
> > Date: 20 Feb 2000 18:39:16 -0600
> > Subject: Nondeliverable mail
> >          boundary = "NTWEBgGK:EVF+?cBGmzmVxN"
> >
> > - --NTWEBgGK:EVF+?cBGmzmVxN
> >
> > - ------Transcript of session follows -------
> > ww@cci.lg.ua
> > 550 <ww@cci.lg.ua>... User unknown
> >
> > - --NTWEBgGK:EVF+?cBGmzmVxN

> > To: ww@cci.lg.ua
> > From: zubenanalgenube@origen.com
> > Subject: RE: from WW
> > Date: 20 Feb 2000 18:41:06 -0600
> >

> > StriderCaracas,
> >
> > Falsetto colonel flak devilish Miami experience Raymond polymerase emulate
> > donkey summand Harold paint Daly hill acclimatize evince component seethe
> > sarah1 Jewish Quixote Dowling corwin bye formant prince collusion, society
> > agrimony lithography waybill Mathematik Zealand Shockley diluent Braun
> > retaliate Cortez emphasis hooves we're molt franklin.

> [...]

begin:vcard
n:Brown;Tom
tel;cell:+1 650 814 5949
tel;home:+1 650 566 8715
tel;work:+1 650 812 9400
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cgf.net/
org:Ministry of Information;Information Adjustment
adr:;;;Menlo Park;California;;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:tomb@cgf.net
title:Historical Adjustments Officer