Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:28:12 -0500
From:      Constantine Shkolny <stan@osgroup.com>
To:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   ipfilter (was: RE: Introduction)

Hi All,

I'm now analyzing ipfilter in 3.2 and our goal is to port our
IPSec/firewall. I'm still in the beginning of reading the code
so, at this time, I can't yet tell how nice it fits our needs.
I just have some concerns which I'd like the people who are
going to re-design the ipfilter to hear. I wouldn't be surprised
to learn that you are already thinking about this, however, it's
nice to know it for certain :-)

The things in the IPSec field are seemingly moving to using
hardware accelerators for doing compression/encryption/authentication.
This means that IP filters need to grab some of IP packets, process
them on a specialized prosessor and then re-inject them into the IP
packet stream. That is, the filter may decide to convert the packet,
but it doesn't have it ready-to-go when it has to return. However,
it may have it ready at some later time, possibly when it processes
a hardware interrupt and sees that the co-processor has finished its
work on the packet. Can ipfilter handle this?

Thank you,
Stan