Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2017 15:15:30 -0400
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone using Solarflare on FreeBSD 10-STABLE ?

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 1:54 PM, Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 2017-10-17 19:36:20 (+0200), Allan Jude wrote:
>>
>> On 10/17/2017 12:32, Mark Saad wrote:
>>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone else out there was using the solarflare
>>> cards supported via the sfxge driver on 10.3-STABLE.
>

> Yes.
>
>>> Speificly I wanted to know if anyone knew what this sysctl refers to
>>>
>>> dev.sfxge.NN.stats.rxdp_di_dropped_pkts
>>

>> I have two 11.1 boxes with a dual ported sfxge each, but I have no idea
>> what that counter is trying to describe.
>>
>> The man page says this is Philip's fault.
>

> This code is not my fault! ;-)  I believe arybchik added it.
>
> Looking at the code, it's packets that have been dropped in the data path by
> the dispatcher cpu.  Probably related to virtual functions?
>
> arybchik (Cc:ed) likely has a more recent datasheet than I do!
>
> Philip

Solarflare replied to my support request I raised with them saying ...

"This counter is of packets discarded in hardware due to not being
address to this host, or to any multicast group it is subscribed to.

Seeing a very high number here usually indicates the switch is not
performing IGMP snooping, and is forwarding all multicast; or that
there is some routing issue.  However it will also usually tick up
over time, due to route discovery protocols."

I have no idea how you get to that; as a result of reading that oid,
but ok if they say so.

I was just being cautious I disabled the Event Merge Timeout on the
card and I was just watching the card counters , among other things,
to see if there was any drops as a result.