Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 14:43:19 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Sasha Egan <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>
To:        danny@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP:PAP:WIN95:FreeBSD

Alrighty,
I have tried everything in my experience and I just can't make this darn
thing work.
I have followed the instructions that are included in the pppkit.tgz file,
with very little results.
The results that I got was a PAP connect using win95 as the client.  PPP
shells out but you are not able to go anywhere, ( i.e. you try to telnet
and no host can be found even if you try it using IP as the address.
I really need some help on this.

I have the clients setup as follows:
Under dialup networking Icon.
Under the properties, under SERVER TYPES I have PPP:WINDOWS95, WINDOWS NT
3.5, INTERNET
Under advanced options I have,
Log onto network clicked although I have tried it unclicked.
Enable Software compression clicked although I have tried it unclicked.
Require encrypted password unclicked.

Allowed network protocols
NetBEUI, unclicked
IPX/SPX, unclicked
TCPIP, clicked

Under TCPIP settings:
SERVER assigned IP address, clicked
SERVER assigned name server addresses clicked, although I have tried to
hardwire the IP of my nameserver in.
USE IP header compression, clicked, but I have tried it unclicked.
USE default gateway on remote network, clicked, but have tried it
unclicked.

Under DIALUP NETWORKING:
under connections.
Show an Icon on taskbar...clicked
Prompt for info...........clicked
Show a conformation ......clicked
Prompt to use Dial-UP Networking...Clicked
I have Client for Microsoft Networks installed.
I have TCPIP installed and I have a Dial-Up adapter bound to TCP/IP

On the host side I have the following setup:

I have the hacked version of pppd installed in /usr/sbin
bash$ ls -al pppd
-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  77824 Apr 16 11:28 pppd
I I have the ppplogin.sh and fancyppplogin.sh in /usr/local/bin

bash$ ls -al *ppp*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2040 Apr 16 09:29 fancyppplogin.sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1533 Apr 16 09:29 ppplogin.sh

I have the appropriate options set in /etc/ppp

bash$ cat /etc/ppp/options
dns1 192.168.1.1
proxyarp

I have appropriate gettytab entries.

std.38400|38400-baud:\
        :np:sp#38400:pp=/usr/local/bin/fancyppplogin.sh
std.57600|57600-baud:\
        :np:sp#57600:pp=/usr/local/bin/fancyppplogin.sh
std.115200|115200-baud:\
        :np:sp#115200:pp=/usr/local/bin/fancyppplogin.sh

I have all the shells set in ppp.shells
I have prewt ( my test ppp account ) shell set as /pppok

I cannot think of anything else that would cause this not to work when I
dial, an error appears in about 60 seconds.

Dial-Up Networking could not negotiate a compatible set of network
protocols you specified in the Server Type Settings.  Check network
configuration in the Control panel then try again...

Uhm...I dunno about this but Microsoft Networking seems to be broken in a
whole lot of frigging places.

I would appreciate some help on this...I am about a millimeter from
loosing my mind.

Sasha Egan
wildcard@belen.k12.nm.us.
Network Technician.