Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:27:15 -0800
From:      "Murray Stokely" <murray@stokely.org>
To:        "FreeBSD doc list" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Volunteers Needed to add Subtitles to Conference Videos

We now have over 23 videos uploaded to the BSD Conferences video
channel from MeetBSD, NYCBSDCon, and other BSD conferences.

I'd really like to add subtitles to the YouTube metadata as this has
been requested by several users.  Once we have subtitles they will be
autotmatically machine translated so that users can choose captions in
the language they are most comfortable with.

There are a variety of tools you can use to record a transcription of
the video.  One that I tried recently was the webservice Overstream :

http://www.overstream.net

You simply give it the URL for the YouTube video as it is playing and
it lets you add caption overlays and modify the timings to sync it up
properly.

The end result should be a text file with caption and timings which we
can then upload to different video services to provide the captioning
on demand.

If you have any experience with this, or if you'd like to try to
caption one of the videos, please let me know.  Thanks and happy new
year!

        - Murray