Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 21:03:58 +0000
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Idea? (was Spam and this list)

Cory Kempf wrote:

> At 12:18 -0500 98.03.24, Alanna wrote:
> >I'm a new subscriber (/great/ list, guys) and have noticed that this list
> >seems to be, while relatively spam-free, victimized every now and then.
>
> Generally with mailing lists, posting is restricted to members of the list.
> I know the ones that I host are set up that way, as are most of the ones I
> am on.  This is specificaly to prevent spamming.
>
> With -questions, as has been pointed out before, it is important to allow
> people who are not on the list to get questions answered.  Hence the list
> isn't restricted.
>
> One wonders though, if perhance it might be possible to black list
> spammers.  An entity spams the list, that entity is blocked from future
> access to the lists / web site / etc.
>
> Speaking for myself, I would really hate to help someone get a unix system
> set up and running, only to have them turn into the next CyberPromo.
<<snip>>

Or, if the poster is NOT a subscribed member of the list, how hard would
it be to have the list software send a "verification of post" message
back to the sender requiring them to "verify" their post by replying to
the verification message before the post would be sent to the list.  Oh
well, this is probably too much of a pain, but it would eliminate
spammers with forged return addresses and/or using stolen return
addresses.

Aaron out.