Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:41:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Josh <alf2@swbell.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Important questions.

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Josh wrote:

> I am wanting to install 2.2.6.  I have a few questions though.
>
> Is the 2.2.6 C++ compiler ANSI/ISO standard?

I believe so.

> Can I use the JAVA ICQ on FreeBSD?

Not sure.

> Do any of you have ICQ?   What is your #?
>
> Would it be smart for me to only run FreeBSD without running windows 95?

Depends. If you want to play games (as I do), no. If you don't need to do
word processing, work or anything else with the computer and can afford to
spend time learning how FreeBSD works, then great the less Necro$pend the
better.

> How do I connect to the internet using FreeBSD?

With ppp. Read the handbook and Pedantic PPP Primer.
(www.freebsd.org/handbook and /tutorials)

> How do I check my email using freebsd?

You generally use a POP program (fetchmail, popclient - /usr/ports/mail)
to get your mail from your ISP, then use a mail reader (pine, elm, mutt,
netscape - /usr/ports/mail or /usr/ports/web) to read it.

> How necessary is a kernel?

Extremely. Without one you're computer won't boot. You probably mean a
custom one however. It is not absolutely neccessary, but it isn't all that
hard to make one and it is very useful in terms of efficiency and certain
features which aren't in kernel.GENERIC by default.

> Where should I download the ports collection to/from?

Off the installation cd or off ftp.freebsd.org.

> Should i be installling 2.2.6?

Sure. You can always upgrade to 2.2.7/2.2.8/3.0 when the time comes.

> my icq is 20482480
>
> email express: 20482480@pager.mirabilis.com
> --
>     Made With
>        Olean

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.