Date:      Tue, 04 Jul 2017 00:47:12 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CUDA and FreeBSD: can linux kernel module be ported to FreeBSD?

(redirected from https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2017-July/051220.html )
Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> writes:

> NVidia CUDA toolkit (https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads)
> contains a lot of rpms.
>
> The kernel module rpm nvidia-kmod-375.26-2.el7.x86_64.rpm actually
> contains linux kernel module sources. The rest of rpms contain binary
> userland utilities.

See bug 206711. 64bit CUDA maybe broken unless the error confusingly
indicates the lack of hardware support a la nvEncodeAPI. I can still
reproduce on nvidia-driver-384.47.

Before confirming make sure linuxulator passes through 64bit DRM ioctls
by testing a 64bit OpenGL app. If OpenGL still fails apply the patch.
For one, www/linux-flashplayer installs 32bit plugin thus x11/nvidia-driver
users may not have noticed.

> So if somebody could port those kernel sources into the FreeBSD kernel
> module, CUDA could be used over the linux emulation level?

Why? 32bit CUDA should work fine but performance may suffer.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120717065328/http://blogs.freebsdish.org/jhb/2010/07/20/using-cuda-with-the-native-freebsdamd64-nvidia-driver/