Date:      Mon, 3 May 2004 20:06:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Florian <kerith@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SATA

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Florian wrote:

> On advice, I downloaded FreeBSD 4.10 RC2 (because 5.2.1 would not work)
> but can't install it because the installer does not find my HDD which is a
> 120gb Seagate drive on an on-board Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid
> Controller.
> Is SATA support not yet implemented in RC2 but in the 4.9? Or is SATA only
> supported in 5.x?
> What can I do?

I just finished upgrading a system to a new motherboard with SATA.  To
do that, I loaded a normal parallel IDE drive, installed to it, and then
used dump to move the install over to the SATA drive.  Editing
/etc/fstab to use ad4 instead of ad0 was the next step, and then finally
setting the BIOS to boot from the SATA drive.