Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 00:38:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

> Now Now, not all of us have spare hardware to throw around, besides I've done

Well, now hang on a second..  If you're going to be an ISP, at least
one who takes himself and his services halfway seriously, then surely
cost of an extra PC (or, as I noted, even just an extra *disk*) is
going to pale in comparison to the cost of inflicting instability
on your user base.

I also wasn't really intending on beating up on Jaye, though it might
have seemed like I did, so much as his statements accompanying the bug
report which noted that he was going to have potentially hundreds of
web customers and such going away as a result of the failed upgrade
and, well, that just stuck in my craw as one of those "doctor, doctor,
it hurts when I do *this*" sort of bug reports which indicated a far
more serious degree of dysfunction elsewhere.

> this on my production news server twice now :)  It started life as a 2.2 alph
> snap, then a few months back I installed 2.2.2-RELEASE on top of it, and just
> a few weeks ago 2.2.5 on top of that.  So far, everythings been running peach
> keen.  Granted if I jump major OS revs (3.0) a complete from scratch start is

And if that's the case then you're one of the lucky ones.  Does that
make it excusable as a general operating principle?  No. :-)

> So my rant ends in, again FreeBSD (And by the transitive property, its
> developers) is the most reliable, high performance, easiest to play with, and
> funnest (yea its a word, cause I said so :) to play with!  Thanks mucho!

Well, thanks.  Still, don't you think we should be trying to set a
proper example for all those ISPs wandering around lost in the
woods out there? ;)

					Jordan