Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:21:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: XF86 & fvwm Problem, Help? (fwd)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, Jerry Dunham wrote:

> David Nugent babbled:
>
> I tried this here this morning, and it doesn't work.  The <ctl><alt>
> <F1> part worked to get me back to a text console, but then I was never
> able to return to the X session.  I tried it a couple of times to make
> sure I was doing as instructed, but without success.  Apparently SOME-
> thing must be configured differently to make this work.

 Hmmm.. somthing on your machine then.. it works fine here on all my
 Fbsd boxes.. and I have  2.0 2.0.5 2.1 and 2.1.5... so
 somthing on that end.

> > >What's unique about console 3?  Why should I start xdm there?
> >
> > The X server selects the first "free" vt to run on.
>
> Makes sense.
>
> > > Is there some way of starting xdm there automatically upon
> > > system boot?
> >
> > Sure. Start it from /etc/rc.local in daemon mode, or put it into
> > your /etc/ttys and start it up on any vt.
>
> So what would I put in either of those places to make it work, and
> what are the relative advantages and disadvantage of the two?  I
> assume that in ttys I turn ttyv3 off, but what else?

	I cannot speak for the ttys way.. but for rc.local

	echo -n ' xdm' ; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm &

 -branson

 Branson Matheson       | Ferguson Enterprises  | If Pete and Repeat were
 System Administrator   | W: (804) 874-7795     | sittin on a fence and Pete
 Unix, Perl, WWW        | branson@widomaker.com | fell off, who is left?