Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 18:11:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMWare and friends (was: Re: GNOME: Does anyone use it?)

On  4-Oct-99 at 16:42, Jerry Dunham (jdunham@fc.net) wrote:
> patl@phoenix.volant.org babbled:
> > VMWare sounds interesting; but even that isn't enough to get me to
> > run NT.  What I'd really like to see would be an Open Source system
> > that is conceptually closer to the old IBM VM/370 design.  It could
> > use drivers and much of the kernel from *BSD, Linux, or whatever.
> > But instead of running on top of another OS, it should be the kernel;
> > and it should -not- support running programs directly, only virtual
> > machines.  Add a mechanism to allow VM-aware OSes to communicate
> > with the VM and delegate certain operations (e.g. paging) to it,
> > and you've got an ideal system for multi-os or multiple virtual host
> > operations.  But I digress...
>
> But it's a digression I LIKE.  Are you and I the only ones on this list
> who salivate at such thoughts?  I WANT a system like that!

The depressing thing for me is that I worked on a system like
that 25 years ago.  And that's not the only area where computer
science appears to have stood still or gone backwards during
that time.  (Just try to find a decent macro processor.)

At the popularity of Java, Perl, et. al, seem to finally be
breaking the industry free of C's stranglehold; so there is
some hope that language development can get back on track.

-Pat