Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 08:49:44 -0600 (CST)
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@nomad.dataplex.net>
To:        Jeremy Lea <reg@shale.csir.co.za>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the union, 1999.

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Jeremy Lea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jan 09, 1999 at 10:47:50PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Release numbering:
>
> Probably already covered, but I wanted to say that you should make a big
> deal of this when it comes to people following branches.
>
> If people think that the 3.0->3.1 jump is the same as say the 2.1->2.2 jump,
> then there will be a big demand for a larger number of -stable branches. So
> you need to make them aware that there will now be one -stable branch for
> each major number.

And, for this reason, I again recommend that we drop the "-stable" and
"-current" designations on the branches and simply call them by their
branch number.

"stable", "current", and "development" could then become symbolic links to
the most latest branch which has reached the status.

Remember that the 3. branch cannot become stable until some time AFTER the
developers quit doing major changes to it. Therefore there will be a limbo
period where the cutting edge folks are working on 4.0 stuff but 3.x has
not settled enough to warrant the "stable" label. IMHO, "current" would be
an appropriate label for this status.