Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2012 18:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer recommendation please

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, RW wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 16:14:20 -0400
> Mike Jeays wrote:
>
>> I strongly recommend a laser printer over an inkjet even for home
>> use. The reduced running costs and better reliability are easily
>> worth the lack of colour, IMO.
>
> How do they compare for light and occasional use? I'm thinking in
> terms of a few pages, a few times a year, so presumably the
> consumables become perishables.

In exactly that scenario, ink nozzles can dry out, rendering your inkjet
printer inoperable. I only print every few weeks, and if I had to
replace ink for every print just because it dried out, I think I might
become angry. My laser printer works even after months of inactivity.

For the record, I completely agree with Mike. I also would not buy a
printer that did not speak Postscript. My PS-speaking LaserJet was
working as fast as I could edit /etc/printcap - no CUPS, no drivers, no
ghostscript, no filters.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging </> ]