Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:45:20 -0500
From:      "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        theob@za.uu.net
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The way forward

theob@za.uu.net(theob@za.uu.net)@2003.01.28 08:59:27 +0000:
> Hi List

<snip>

> Thanks

Not to start a flame war either, but I like both and use both ipfw and ipf
together.

I use ipfw+dummynet for QoS and traffic shaping with a minimal ruleset to
pretty much allow all.

After the packets are processed by ipfw, they're passed to ipf which does
the really hard stuff: stateful packet inspection and NAT.  ipnat is nice
because it's in kernel space and faster than natd.  I also find that ipf
has some nice tools and utilities you don't have with ipfw.

I'm new to ipf, but using it isn't much different than ipfw, but I've been
told by reliable sources that if you're handling lots of traffic and
require stateful inspection then ipf is the way to go.

Print the ipfw man page out as well as the ipf how-to.  I've got copies of
both.  There's more info in both of those documents than my brain can
handle on most days.  I have a sample ipfw script which might help you in
setting up a queuing and traffic-shaping packet pass-all packet filter.  I
use a version of this myself.  Customize at will:
https://www.smnolde.com/ipfw/ipfw-queue-bw-only

Give ipf and ipfw a whirl and get the best out of both.  I also hear
there's AltQ coming to ipf in FreeBSD and there are patches for it, if you
want to try it.

--
Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48