Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:19:24 +0200
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Resolver not always resolving hostnames

--Y5wfsVCgeKAcINk2

On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 12:03:24PM +0200, Gbor Kvesdn wrote:
> Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> >Hey,
> >
> >I think something odd is going on in the resolver.  It seems like it
> >doesn't resolve hostnames some of the time.  It's not really easily
> >reproducible, but I have seen it happen several times with cvsup where
> >it can't resolve the cvsup server.  If I re-run cvsup it works fine.
> >
> >I see it on recent -CURRNET's (server running cvsup below is October
> >12, system running host(1) is October 15).
> >
> >The cvsup log:
> >
> >CVSup update begins at 2006-10-18 17:29:00
> >Updating from cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> >Name lookup failure for "cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org": Host name lookup failed
> >Updating local ncvs
> >CVSup update ends at 2006-10-18 17:29:01
> >
> >I also seen odd things happen with host(1).  These two commands were
> >run right after each other.  I don't know if it's related, but I
> >suspect it is.
> >
> >$ host cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> >cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> >cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> >$ host cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> >cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> >mirror03.inet.tele.dk has address 195.41.53.219
> >cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> >cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> >
> >I only have one name-server in resolv.conf, so the problem isn't due
> >to hitting different caching name-servers.
> >
> >Initially I thought it was a local problem for me, but joel@ has seen
> >the same on RELENG_6 (from July 8), and xride@ has seen the
> >same/similar with csup where his workaround was to ping the cvsup
> >server before running csup.
> >
> >So, has anyone seen anything similar?  Since I can't reproduce the
> >issue at will I don't really know where to look for what's going on,
> >and of course it could be DNS issue...
> >
> > =20
> Same here with csup vs. cvsup.hu.FreeBSD.org. If I resolve it elsewhere=
=20
> and specify the ip address manually, it works just fine. Tomorrow's=20
> -current here on i386.
>=20
<AOL>
Same problem after upgrading from 6.1-PRERELEASE to 6.2-PRERELEASE
(yearh, real releases are for children) on beastie (danish half of
ftp.f.o). I have not seen it anywhere else but in the cvsup jobs on that
particular machine, so I blamed outside causes before.
Data point: Old install March 13, new install October 3rd.
</AOL>

-erwin

--=20
Erwin Lansing                                     http://droso.org
Security is like an onion.          (o_ _o)
It's made up of several layers   \\\_\   /_///    erwin@FreeBSD.org
And it makes you cry.            <____) (____>    erwin@aauug.dk

--Y5wfsVCgeKAcINk2

--Y5wfsVCgeKAcINk2--