Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 12:40:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        sos@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Enough already! (Was: Where is the documentation for ibcs2?)

> sos@freebsd.org writes:
>
> I don't have an SCO machine up and running at the moment, but I've
> seen this problem before: register_addr itself calls ptrace() to find
> the address of the saved register block, and it's wrong (typically
> contains 0).  If you *really*, *really* find this important, I'll drag
> out the disk and fire her up.

Dont bother, I have nothing to do with the iBCS2 stuff anymore...

> > I'll repeat again :
> > The kernel part of the iBCS2 emulation is only say 10% of what is
> > needed to run iBCS2/SCO apps, we must have a compatibel shell, ed
> > sed, echo, awk, and and and, or its just going to break one
> > way or another. We must have our own legal shared libs (plus an
> > environment to make these in case things change). Then we also
> > must have a "custom" util to install the stuff, plus whatever
> > config files, setups, filestructure etc etc etc that the SCO
> > apps expects from the system.
>
> Well, I think I have to disagree about the value of 10%, but I agree
> that there's still a lot to be done.  As I said in a previous message,
> I have a number of pieces there for the taking, including the complete
> GNU C library for SCO (and it works!).  It's not in shared library
> format at the moment, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem if
> somebody's interested.

You still don't get it, try go out and buy some fairly fancy SCO app in
a shrink wrpped box, and the try to install it. Then you write down
ALL the things that went wrong, how to fix them, and then come
back here and tell me how much is missing before we have
"resonable" iBCS2/SCO emulation, fair ??

> > Ha!, I've had my system run NCR svr4 binaries for almost a year
> > now, but there are even more things to make SVR4 run that
> > running iBCS2 (and besides my code for this doesn't work
> > with the iBCS2 stuff we now have from NetBSD, it is nicely
> > integrated into the "original" iBCS2 emulator).
>
> Well, it's a start.  What was wrong with the "original" emulator?
It had a problem in its socksys emulation which on of my "helpers"
ported from Linux. It should have been done differently, but well
it was a first shot. Besides this minimal bugfixes would have
done it. Due to me (& Sean) not having time to fix it, swallace
decided to take the NetBSD code and put that in instead of
fixing our own :( I guess one could take NetBSD's SVR4 code
and munge that into our tree as well (given the prober amount
of kernel bashing that would be nessesary).

Enough, this is starting to get rediculous...

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.