Date:      Fri, 05 Mar 1999 09:29:05 +0100
From:      Thomas Seidmann <tseidmann@SIMULTAN.CH>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@venux.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATd and computer to computer via Internet

Matthew Hagerty wrote:
> The problem I am having is if someone tries to initiate a file transfer or
> chat session via ICQ, it never goes through.  But, if I initiate the file
> transfer/chat session it works.

What you need is redirect _incoming_ ICQ traffic - what I mean is
traffic initiated from outside of your network - on the NAT host to a
particular machine on your internal net, i.e. your ICQ host. For this
you need to know the port(s) ICQ is using, I don't know them. Once you
know them, you should be able to use the "redirect_port" directive (see
natd(8), contains an example for telnet) to redirect the traffic to an
internal machine.

> Also, I have a friend that I helped get set up on FreeBSD with the same
> set-up as me, but he is using a regular modem instead of a cable modem.
> Now neither he or I can send ICQ messages to each other, we have to always
> send them through the ICQ server.

The cure is the same as above for both sides.

> Matthew

Regards,
Thomas