Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 1995 12:49:06 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Timothy Moore <moore@WOLFE.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HotJava

>>> "Jordan K. Hubbard" said:
 > > If folks like to work on this sort of languages please take a look at
 > > guile-ii avaiable in the ports/lang directory in freebsd.cdrom.com.
 >
 > Hmmm.  While I admire Amancio's enthusiasm, I've looked at guile-ii
 > and can only really say "huh."  Sure, it's a nice little language.
 > But java is a nice little language AND it has Sun backing it, which is
 > really important when you start looking for all the nice framework and
 > applications base stuff.  There's nothing that says guile might not be
 > *technically* capable of that, but it needs far more than just
 > technical chops to beat java.

Tnks Jordan...

Actually, just because Java has Sun backing doesn't mean much.
I would fear more a small tactical and talented group than a large
bureacratic/political organization. For starters, the small open
team can correct itself a lot faster than lets say a "traditional"
group at Sun. Now if the rest of the Net embraces Java then that
will mean something --- however just the porting effort has been
extremely slow and to the best of my knowledge there is no
application framework for Java. If Java succeeds, guile will rise to
the occation. The problem with guile is that is a reaction to Sun's
TCL and Java .

BTW: I am susbcribed to the Java mailing list a while ago and I dowloaded
the first public release of Java. I think the major stumbling to porting
Java is in compiling the damn thing .

	Cheers,
	Amancio