Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 02:25:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard H <rhzdnet@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble setting up DNS in 3.3 (had DNS working in 2.2)

Hi,

I have FreeBSD 3.3 and am having trouble running DNS.
I have gone through ORA book "DNS and BIND" over and
 over and over but I still cannot set it up correctly
to be authoritative for my own little net.

My 3.3 system is the server that connects by modem to
my ISP with a dynamic IP and uses PPP to interface
to it.
My routing works, since all of my systems can ftp,
browse, etc. the internet.
I can ping any system on my net or those outside of
my net but I suspect this is because of the hosts
files.

I had DNS working on my 2.2 system, but somehow it
just
has not worked since I installed 3.3.
Can anyone help?
Here are my resolv.conf, localhost.rev, named.conf
files.
I have removed much of the comments that were
originally
in the named.conf file

-----resolv.conf
nameserver	mercury.planets.net
domain		planets.net

-----localhost.rev
;
; Origin added to names not ending
; in a dot: xyz.net

planets.net.	IN	SOA	planets.net.
root.mercury.planets.net.  (
				20000212	; Serial
				86400	; Refresh	1 day
				3600	; Retry		1 hour
				608400	; Expire	1 week
				86400 )	; Minimum	1 day
	IN  NS	mercury.planets.net.
mercury.planets.net.	IN  A 192.168.1.1	; FreeBSD Box
venus.planets.net.	IN  A 192.168.1.2	; FreeBSD Box
earth.planets.net.	IN  A 192.168.1.3	; Win95 Box
mars.planets.net.	IN  A 192.168.1.4	; Win95 Box
saturn.planets.net.	IN  A 192.168.1.5	; Win95 Box

$ORIGIN 1.168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA
	IN  NS	mercury.planets.net.
1	IN  PTR mercury.planets.net.
2	IN  PTR venus.planets.net.
3	IN  PTR earth.planets.net.
4	IN  PTR mars.planets.net.
5	IN  PTR saturn.planets.net.

$ORIGIN 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA
	IN  NS	mercury.planets.net.
1	IN  PTR	localhost.

-----named.conf
// $FreeBSD: src/etc/namedb/named.conf,v 1.5.2.1
1999/08/29 14:19:30 peter Exp $
//

options {
	directory "/etc/namedb";

// In addition to the "forwarders" clause, you can
force your name
// server to never initiate queries of its own, but
always ask its
// forwarders only, by enabling the following line:
//
      forward only;

// If you've got a DNS server around at your upstream
provider, enter
// its IP address here, and enable the line below.
This will make you
// benefit from its cache, thus reduce overall DNS
traffic in the Internet.

	forwarders {
		209.30.0.100;
	};

	/*
	 * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers
you want
	 * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the
query-source
	 * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always
asked
	 * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an
unprivileged
	 * port by default.
	 */
	// query-source address * port 53;

	/*
	 * If running in a sandbox, you may have to specify a
different
	 * location for the dumpfile.
	 */
	// dump-file "s/named_dump.db";
};

// Setting up secondaries is way easier and the rough
picture for this
// is explained below.
//
// If you enable a local name server, don't forget to
enter 127.0.0.1
// into your /etc/resolv.conf so this server will be
queried first.
// Also, make sure to enable it in /etc/rc.conf.

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "named.root";
};