Date:      Thu, 20 May 2010 04:14:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pavel Timofeev <timp87@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   snd_ich and Gens

Hi everyone!

I found the problem a long time ago, but only now writing about it.

My computer (with motherboard asus p4p800-vm) has a sound card.
[root@timbsd ~]# dmesg | grep pcm
pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> port 0xe800-0xe8ff,0xee80-0xeebf mem
0xfebff800-0xfebff9ff,0xfebff400-0xfebff4ff irq 17 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: [ITHREAD]
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec>

I use FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE i386 and snd_ich driver.
It works perfectly. Ussually =)

So, I have installed lastest xorg-7.5 from ports and openbox-3.4.11.1 as WM.

FreeBSD ports have a gaming console emulator Sega, which is called Gens
(/usr/ports/emulators/gens).

I have installed it too.

Always when I run Gens and then start to play, the system begins greatly
hampers (holds, slow down).
CPU utilization increases over 100%.
But when I disable a sound in Gens, all is well. Same situation when I
unload snd_ich.

This problem is not related with the video subsystem.
I tried different video cards (ati and nvidia, and of course the latest
drivers from ports), but got the same result.

Maybe I need write to another mailing list?
If you have any ideas please help!