Date:      Mon, 09 Aug 1999 17:07:58 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@FreeBSD.org.uk>
To:        jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
Cc:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>, Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with user level ppp, using multilink functionality

jon@caamora.com.au said:
> can anyone throw some light on what sort of (isdn) hardware will be
> supported, thier isnt a lot of choice here in australia.

Ppp only runs using i4b - therefore, the cards supported are only
those supported by the i4b stuff.  I believe only ISDN2E is currently
supported (the E at the end stands for Europe - these are European
standard ISDN links with 2 B channels).

Take a look at the comments in the -current version of LINT for
details of which cards are supported:

  http://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT

> a side issue but sort of relevent, would anyone running isdn
> know what sort bit rate (maximun traffic) can be expected from
> a 64 kbit, 128 kbit or even a 256 kbit link before saturation
> sets in links fallover so to speak.

I see 60000 - 68000bps per link (even in MP mode) when a single
transfer is happening.  User-ppp currently measures throughput as the
total throughput (both ways) which has a theoretical max of 128bps
per channel.  You get near maximum **all the time** through Pavilion
Internet.  Demon's ISDN seems to get marginally less, and I haven't
tried MP there.

> in the old days i worked out that if i could get a 33k6 circuit
> to the back bone this would be as good as running a 64 kbit
> isdn (our isdn feeders are not to reliable in my part of the
> world, more so with the selloff). hence the interest in frame
> relay or even multiple 33k6 (or v.90) with some sort of pstn
> based 'channel bonding'.

You can run user-ppp at both ends of a set of analogue lines in MP
mode - that's how I tested the software after I finished writing it
(it was tested during development with ppp running ppp -direct
back-to-back.

> off cource the effective 128 kbit path to the back bone (3x33k6
> pstn pots circuits) at dirt cheap rates has nothing to do with
> this line of questioning ... grin.

I had exactly the same opinion, but there are a couple of other
variables.  The biggie is the speed of bringing up an ISDN link - it
comes up in seconds, not minutes.  This makes dial-on-demand a
reality in my book.

The *real* problem with user-ppp in this arena is that it doesn't do
any of the compression algorithms that the hardware at most ISPs does
- ie, MPPC or STAC.

Does *ANYONE* know anybody that could push some buttons in this area
and either get deflate/predictor supported on some server hardware or
else get Microsoft/Stac to allow me to emulate their compression
algorithms ?  It would make a huge difference !

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>