Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 11:09:25 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Subject:   Re: can't reboot

Hi Corey,

I've had a look through the BIOS again, and while it is a different
BIOS version (they both have PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0, but the
older boxes have BIOS Version IP.01.03US and the one that had the
motherboard replaced has BIOS Version IP.01.08US), all the settings
seem pretty much the same, and have been set to the same values.

One thing I did see in there that was curious is that the different
BIOS versions are loading different CPU microcode.

But as far as anything that would appear to affect the ability to
signal a reboot, I came up empty.

I've got our desktop guy looking into downgrading the BIOS just to
eliminate it as a cause, but he says it will be hard to find a copy
of the old BIOS, and downgrading BIOS is never recommended.

I guess I do have another option though--I could swap the disks
between the problem system (which is a backup/standby system) and
the build system that currently lives in the same building as me,
and therefore I can get to easily to cycle the power.

But I'd really just like to understand AND FIX the problem.

Thanks,

Tony
--
Tony Landells						<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Principal Networks, Security & IT Systems Engineer	Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319