Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:44:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        David Kirchner <dpk@notreal.com>
Cc:        "B. Richardson" <rabtter@aye.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I want to break binary compatibility.

Or, alternatively, just a file system flag "approved" that indicates a
binary has been approved for execution by the system operator.  This would
be default set on installed binaries, but could only be added by uid 0 (or
gid 0 or something).

However, this runs into the problem of shared libraries -- as long as
LD_LIBRARY_PATH exists, the possibility of running user-specified code
also exists.  This also doesn't help you if the bugs are in existing code
(that is, in sperl :).

On Sun, 23 Aug 1998, David Kirchner wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, B. Richardson wrote:
>
> > What I want to do, if possible is build a uniq system such that binaries
> > from other systems will not run on it and vice versa. Is this possible?
>
> I haven't seen this mentioned yet:
>
> Would it be possible to hack the kernel so binaries will only be run if
> they have a certain "binary signature", one that is different for every
> machine. You'd want to do all compilation on another, possibly
> non-networked box, and then install all binaries mode '111' (or 4111 or
> whatever) so nobody could read the "signature". Maybe this is how the
> whole magic number thing works... I was thinking more along the lines of a
> 'phrase'.
>
> Maybe a make world option in /usr/share/mk or something?
>
> -dpk

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/