Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 10:56:54 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

> I propose that after 2.2.6 or 2.2.7, whichever comes last, that you
> just do away with -stable altogether and start making three or four CD
> SNAPs of -current per year and call it "semi-stable."  Just catch the
> -current tree at a really good time when making those CDs.

That would piss an incredible number of people off.  The -stable
concept has proven to be very popular with the userbase and the
developers (modulo the occasional chewing out) have also appreciated
not having so much pressure on them for -current.

It's also almost impossible to determine what "a really good time" in
-current is since, even though a given SNAP of -current might look
really good to *me* with my particular collection of test hardware, it
might be broken utterly for many other situations which I wouldn't
catch until well after the CD is out.  That's why being able to freeze
the -stable tree is so important - it gives us at least a few weeks to
let the bug reports trickle in without having the target continue
to move under us.

Needless to say, your proposal is rejected with some force. ;-)

					Jordan