Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:20:11 +0100
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <rohrbach@nacamar.net>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quake2 and UDP recvspace

what boy are you running that qukaeserver on and with what effective
bandwidth and how many simultaneous players connected? is it quake or
quake2? i got one server here running quakeworld on 2.2.8-r and a
qw/quake2 box running on 3.0-current as of july 13 1997 (ouch!) in linux
emulation (ouch2!) ;-) but it runs perfectly.

/k

Dave Hayes (dave@jetcafe.org) @ Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 08:37:30PM -0800:
> I'm runing Quake2 on FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE as a dedicated server.
> Quake2 with many players basically slams the UDP layer of my
> machine, for those of you who don't already know. :)
>
> Netstat -s reports:
>
> udp:
>         110301027 datagrams received
>         0 with incomplete header
>         30 with bad data length field
>         1377 with bad checksum
> >>        29882 dropped due to no socket
>         651167 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
> >>        15494 dropped due to full socket buffers
>         0 not for hashed pcb
>         109603077 delivered
>         36475854 datagrams output
>
> Now I have my sysctl variables set up like so:
>
> net.inet.udp.checksum: 1
> net.inet.udp.maxdgram: 9216
> net.inet.udp.recvspace: 246723
>
> Note that the recvspace is basically as big as I can make it.  I
> noticed a decrease in the "dropped due to full socket buffers" when I
> increased the recvspace from the default 16K value.
>
> I know that the max value is in the kernel somewhere. My questions
> are "where?" and "what will this screw up if I change it?".
> ------
> Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org
> Keep Usenet Free -  http://www.jetcafe.org/~dave/usenet
>
> For hatred can never put an end to hatred, love alone can. This is an
> unalterable law.                                      -The Dhammapada

"The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom." -- W. Blake
http://www.nacamar.de - http://www.nacamar.net - http://www.webmonster.de
http://www.apache.de - http://www.quakeforum.de - finger rohrbach@nacamar.net
PGP Key fingerprint = F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44