Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 23:36:33 -0400
From:      Shannon Hendrix <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: technical comparison

On Thu, May 24, 2001 at 10:34:26PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> ] > 1. I don't think I've ever seen a Linux distro which has write
> ] >    caching enabled by default. Hell, DMA33 isn't even enabled
> ] >    by default ;)
> ]
> ] You are talking about controlling the IDE drive cache.
> ]
> ] The issue here is write cache in the filesystem code.
>
> No.  The issue here is the write cache on the drive.
> FreeBSD with soft updates will operate within 4% of the top memory
> bandwidth; see the Ganger/Patt paper on the technology.

I have a file, CSE-TR-254-95.ps, that I think is probably the paper
you are talking about. The title is "Soft Updates: A Solution to the
Metadata Update Problem in File Systems". The link on Ganger's page was
dead, but I'm sure this is the one you mean.

Nowhere do they support the idea that soft udpates can approach a
system's memory bandwidth.

What they did say was that in _one_ case, creating and then immediately
deleting a directory entry, you are operating at processor/memory
speeds. They said soft updates in that case were 6 times faster than the
conventional system. That's not even close to the memory bandwidth of
the 486 system they were using, so they had to mean the filesystem code
in that test was able to run without waiting on I/O.

In the more general cases, their findings were "more than a factor of
two" compared to synchronous write ufs.

I _wish_ my workstation was able to write metadata at nearly 1GB/s all
the time... :)

--
"Star Wars Moral Number 17: Teddy bears are dangerous in herds."