Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:15:05 +0100
From:      Alexander Haderer <alexander.haderer@charite.de>
To:        Olivier Dony <olivier@blacktrap.net>, FreeBSD-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rl(4): autoselect/manual media == no carrier at boot time?

At 15:01 25.03.2003 +0100, Olivier Dony wrote:
>Hello, that's me again :)
>[... realtek has no carrier...]
>
>My question is, is it possible that setting the media to 100baseTX
><full-duplex> could cause problems for carrier detection at boot time? Or is
>my ISP lying and they unplugged the network just right during the kernel panic
>and only plugged it back after a while? This doesn't sound likely...
>I do not feel like rebooting again right now just to see if using autoselect
>works, I'd rather not have to call them today to fix it once more ;-)

Sounds like that at the other end of the patchcable autoselect still is
active and is unable to agree with the "fixed media" realtek card. So I
would suggest to check the router/switch at the other end of the patchcable
and to also switch off autoselect there. tcpblast from the ports is a handy
tool to check tcp troughput. To be on the safe side you should tcpblast in
both directions. Expect about 10 Mbytes/s with no other network load.

Btw.: I have no experience with Realtek hardware, so there may be other
things here causing the error.

with best regards

         Alexander

--
Alexander Haderer             Charite Berlin - Germany