Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 19:16:42 -0600
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@demon.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

Mike Smith writes:

>This loses in the case where there is no boot.banner message.  Help is
>not displayed by default anymore, and there is no way to determine that
>you need to type said command.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find a way to do this without making the
resulting binary too big -- 300 bytes isn't an awful lot to play
around with :)

That's not to say it couldn't be done, but it would require a
not insignificant amount of work to figure out where some existing
code can be rewritten to be smaller -- it'll also interfere with
any 'real' extra functionality that others want to put in at a later
date.

I understand the problem with not having a "type 'help'" tag somewhere
in the boot loader itself, but is the situation where we don't
have a boot.banner (and thus no indication of how to get help) such
a major issue?  After all, we can ensure that a boot.banner will be
present after an initial system install.  Should the end-user then
go and delete boot.banner, is it not reasonable to assume that they're
"advanced" in that they'll remember to be able to type 'help' at
the boot prompt?  (assuming of course that they haven't trashed
boot.text as well :)

This is all horribly reminisicent of spending days, data sheets in
hand, trying to shave just that one extra cycle out of code, trying
to make it fit into horribly small eeproms for embedded systems,
many moons ago.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Demon Internet, Austin, Texas.