Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 1999 09:48:37 -0400
From:      "Bill A. K." <billieakay@yahoo.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Voodoo Banshee Problem

Hi,
     I've got a 3D Blaster Banshee video card with the Voodoo Banshee
chipset, and I just set up a brand new install of FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, and I
downloaded XFree86 3.3.5 directly from XFree86 and I installed the system as
Kernel Developer, modified some source so my USB Mouse dosen't crash the
system (i've done this before with other video adapters, so thats not the
prob)  then i made my kernel config file, recompiled the kernel, rebooted,
installed XFree86 according to their instructions, then I ran the XF86Setup,
and it started up OK. I selected Voodoo Banshee(Generic) for my card and set
my res and everything, (I tried both 640x480 and 1024x768, 800x600 gave me
some probs but dont worry about that). X seems to work fine when its
running, but as soon as I exit X (even after XF86Setup exits) the textmode
display seems to be skinnier horizontally( the top and bottom sides appear
to be crunched), and theres an area up above that flickers. if i start X up
again it looks like everything's working ok but when i exit the same thing
happens.

If someone can help me i'd really appreciate it.

Here's my system config:

AMD K6-2 400 MHz
256 MB RAM
Creative Labs 3D Blaster Banshee
Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1370
12 GB Quantum HD (for Windows 98)
1 GB Connor HD (for FreeBSD)
NEC MultiSync 3FGe Monitor

And questions about my config, just ask me :)

Thanks in advance.

Bill
billieakay@yahoo.com