Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 1997 00:33:19 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Unix Gurus shift to Microsoft (fwd)

>From The Desk Of Michael Smith :
> Amancio Hasty stands accused of saying:
> > May I ask what is so stupid about WebTv?
>
> You ask this of someone with a predisposition towards 19" screens with
> .26 or better dot pitch?  I've used computers that are designed for TV
> output (I love playing Descent on projection TV's 8), and I'm not sure
> which of the thought of trying to browse the web as it exists on a TV
> screen or considering what it will become in order to be usable on a
> TV revolts me more.

Okay, so you are a snob or an "elite". Does that mean that your average
person who doesn't know anything about PC should invest lets say $2000
to get a decent web browser -- at least in the US you got to take into
consideration the age factor which means that many can't read the small
fonts on a small 17 inch monitor. Not that WebTV is that great but it
is a great tool to start getting familiar with PCs and the Internet and
then if they have a clue or care for they can get a box with a "real"
web browser. Besides, TVs are not that bad for watching mpeg or better
yet mpeg II (dvd) --- Just went today to WinHec 97 and I saw some
pretty amazing PC gear playing mpeg II at full tilt on SVGA Monitors,
TVs or both ...

I just think that PCs will just simply cannabilize TVs and it is going
to be pretty hard to tell the difference. You see you are talking to someone
who is used to watching TV (mind you on FreeBSD) with his PC. What I want
do easily is just to watch mpeg flicks on my TV --- you know for that
good old couch potatoe feeling. I have a VGA to an NTSC converter however
I hope that soon I can get all the gear in a single card: mpeg encode/decode,
ntsc out, 3d, 2d, sound , modem, etc... Yes there are such beasts coming
up for Christmas with *all* that functionality. As to what is going to deliver
the high resolution / tv , I honestly don't know ;however, I don't
think that the big tv manufacturers are going to sit around idle to
figure out what is going to happen next.

About Decent , I don't mind my 17 inch monitor and PC with my $5000 stereo .
Well, it feels earth shaking 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio