Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 08:35:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Clapper <bmc@WillsCreek.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newbie question: tcpdump problem

Feiyi Wang wrote:

> Hi, there
>
> Just get 2.2.5 installed, try to run "tcpdump", but it said /dev/bpf0 :
> device not configured. So I run MAKEDEV bpf0 to create a device, still
> not working. Anybody help me out?

You're missing the `bpf' pseudo-device driver from your kernel.  You need
to add a `pseudo-device bpf ...' line to your kernel configuration. and
rebuild your kernel.

Here's a relevant excerpt from the FreeBSD Handbook:
(`http://WWW.FreeBSD.ORG/handbook/handbook48.html#kernelconfig:network')

        pseudo-device bpfilter number

             Berkeley packet filter. This pseudo-device allows network
             interfaces to be placed in promiscuous mode, capturing every
             packet on a broadcast network (e.g. an ethernet). These
             packets can be captured to disk and/or examined with the
             tcpdump(1) program. Note that implementation of this
             capability can seriously compromise your overall network
             security. The number after bpfilter is the number of
             interfaces that can be examined simultaneously. Optional, not
             recommended except for those who are fully aware of the
             potential pitfalls. Not all network cards support this
             capability.

-----
Brian Clapper, bmc@WillsCreek.COM, http://WWW.WillsCreek.COM/
Make no little plans. They have no Magic to stir Men's blood.
        -- D. B. Hudson