Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 17:55:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Riffle <jriffle@rif.kconline.com>
To:        "Andrew N. Edmond" <edmond@shaman.lycaeum.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WWW Search Engine?

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Andrew N. Edmond wrote:

> I am trying to provide a WWW search engine on my FreeBSD box, and have
> installed Excite (in it's current incarnation, it doesn't work even with
> the 2.2 kernel - well, it does, but not on a 250meg WWW directory) and am
> told that the new version (coming out in 2 weeks)  will not be
> significantly improved software design-wise.  Harvest is a convoluted
> mess... are there other search engine options for FreeBSD?

I have Excite running on a 2.2-Current and a 2.1.5 machine.  Neither of
these have 250 meg WWW directories though.

Basically what I have found is it just doesn't like the perl binariry
shipped with it.  Replacing that, and a few other things,has made it
work flawlessly for both of my sites.

I am concerned about what you say though.  One of my web servers probablly
has around 150 Megs of stuff on it.  If it is going to crap out when more
data gets in there, I sure would like to know.

What exactly is the problem with the 250 Meg tree?  Or is that 250 megs in
just one directory?  Did you have the install script install the thing?
If not, I can fill you in on how I got mine to work with that, it was a
pain getting it installed.  Is it having troubles making your index with
that many megs?

Thanks,
Jim